- To give a lasting proper burial to the heroes of Ebo Landing who in 1803 sacrificed their lives in protest against the enslavement of African peoples in America and Europe.
- To create a unifying and landmark event in Igboland in collaboration with Igbos in the Diaspora.
- To create a lasting monument in Igboland to the Igbo heroes (martyrs) of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and for DNA tested Americans who are Igbos in the Diaspora.
- To create opportunity for intercultural dialogue among Africans at home and in the Diaspora.
- To restore the dignity of the Africans dehumanized by slavery by restoring their pre-slavery free born status through a ritual cleansing ceremony at the sacred Omambala River of Ebo Landing fame which is located in Aguleri, Anambra State, Igboland.
- To create and promote a comprehensive tourism route around cultural, environmental and historical sites of note in Igboland and environs.
OUTLINE OF EVENTS
November 13 – 16, 2015, Coming of Eri Festival: The annual homecoming for Africans/Igbos in the Diaspora
PROGRAM FOR NOVEMBER 2015 HOMECOMING IN IGBOLAND
- Introduction Ceremony, History and Culture classes.
- Ritual Cleansing Ceremony at Omambala Sacred Fountain of Life.
- Blessings and Prayers by Igbo Traditional Rulers/Ezes.
- Naming Ceremony by Igbo Traditional Rulers/Ezes.
- Traditional Dances and Masquerades of Igboland Hosted by various States.
- Visits to various tourism sites in Igboland and Environs.
- Evening of Folklore, Traditional Wrestling and Native Cuisine.
- Private Visits to Homes, Market shopping, etc.
AREAS OF NEED – FORMATION OF COMMITTEES IN NIGERIA & USA
- Media and Advertising
- Database for Prospective ELP Visitors to Nigeria
- Secretariat in Nigeria and in USA.
- State coordinators in USA/Nigeria to be appointed. Volunteers are welcome.
- African American committees in USA.
- Igbo Communities in USA and in Igboland.
- Youth Committees.
- Women Committees.
PARTNERS AND PROSPRECTIVE COLLABORATORS
- Gullah-Geeche Nation
- Igbo Village, Virginia USA
- Igbo Organizations in the USA
- African American Cultural and Heritage Organizations in the USA
- Anambra State Ministry for Culture
- Federal Ministry of Culture and Parastatals.
- Ebo (Igbo) Landing Project Non-profit Organization
- Councils of Traditional Rulers in Igboland
- Eri Palace, Enugwu-Agulerii
12. Dr. Uwa Osimriri, African Women Economic Consortium (AWEC) & Global Faith Ministries of Chiism
Other collaborators being sought.
For more info, please contact: